Monday, August 15, 2005

Why We Keep Track...

On this fitness adventure we like to mark progress and milestones. By we, I mean I. Anyway, I am very resistant to writing everything down for fear of turning into my IronMan brother-in-law who is famous for his shoe mileage charts. However, every once in a while, I manage to jot something down that turns out to be very inspiring. Case in point: when I got home from my first elliptical run to nowhere, I wrote this on my calendar:


Elliptical Trainer: 7 min. 700 Strides.


That is 7 minutes at 100 strides per minute. That statistic is meaningless unless you compare it to my last workout. I didn't write it down, so this is an estimate, but it is fairly accurate.


Elliptical Trainer: 57 min. 7000 Strides.


That's almost an hour at 122 strides per minute - and keep in mind that I was hurting the entire time. I can recall hitting nearly 9000 strides in previous weeks. That's an hour at 150 strides per minute. Just over two months ago it was all I could do to move for 7 minutes at a walk. Now, some 40 trips to the gym later, I literally run for an hour straight and then go on to do weights and have energy left over to function for the rest of the day.

Our bodies are amazing.

1 comment:

Allan said...

You da bomb.. I know how hard that is...